Quick Way to Freshen Up Your Space

I mentioned in a recent post that my new artwork by artist Ashley Terrell was not going to be able to live above our fireplace any longer (click here for an explanation) - a little bittersweet.

So, I did a little musical chairs with my artwork.   It was a bit of a domino effect, but well worth the effort when I realized what the changes did for my spaces.  Here are the flip flops.

Dining Room Before . . . 
I found this painting in a junk shop in Asheville, N.C. for $75 (already framed).

 Now, understand, I was not unhappy with it in the dining room - I just needed a spot for my newest piece.  I say this because I find clients will often say, "I really like that piece there."  When in fact, they would love it in other spots too, if they would just give it a try.

 Here's the dining room after . . . (I also flip flopped the lamps from my guest bedroom).  Sorry for the poor lighting, really should have left the lamps off - remember, I'm not a photographer.

So where did the junk shop piece land?  It landed in the master bedroom above the bed.  Here is a before picture of the bedroom.


Here's the after . . .  (notice I moved the orange pillow to my guest bedroom since the painting was speaking more blues, and I switched out the bench (it's now in my dining room) with a settee I got from a sweet client.  There was no spot for it in her home (I promise I tried) so we bartered for it.  I gave her some consult time, and I got the settee.

When this artwork was in the dining room, I didn't notice all the blues in it.  But now that it's in the bedroom with all the greens and creams, the blue is really standing out.  Makes me think I need some new accent pillows in here with some blue.  The draperies came with the house.  Although they are not what I would choose, I think I can give them a more modern vibe with accent fabrics.  Looks like another project for 2012 - stay tuned!!

So, where did the small landscapes from above the bed end up? (see what I mean about the musical artwork!) They ended up on this small wall in the bedroom.

Here's a close up.

So, if you are looking for a free freshen up.  I would encourage you to take all your artwork off the walls and move it around a bit.  Remember it's not married to the wall it's currently on!! You may be surprised by how such a small change gives you big results in your spaces!  M. 
better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homesand garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture