Falling Into Fall Series - Part III

The last two posts in this series have really focused on fluffing your home with a leaning to Fall.  If you missed them you can check them out here and here.  Yes, the visual senses are important to the feeling of Fall; but let's not forget about a couple of other senses, like smell and taste.  Today, I want to focus on the sense of smell.

I know it may sound crazy, but smell can really create a first impression when someone visits your home.  The interesting part is if it's a pleasant smell, the person may not even notice it's influencing their impression.  However, if it's an unpleasant smell, it does register with your guests - and not in a good way!  So, let's break it down.  Here are a few ideas on getting that Fall scent into your home.

Mulling Spices
When I was a kid, we spent lots of summers at my parents rustic fishing camp on the coast of Mississippi.  But some of my fondest memories of this place are in the Fall.  The cabin has a wood burning stove to heat the main living spaces.  The minute we arrived, my Dad would make a fire in the stove and my Mom would put a tea kettle of water filled with spices (cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, orange rind) on the stove top.  Within minutes the entire cabin smelled like the most wonderful spicy, cozy baked goods.  

Remember, mulling spices are not just for the smell.  They can also be added to apple cider or red wine for a soul warming drink.  I love the addition of the cork on this one to allow the bag to float for super easy removal.

Here's a great recipe for making your own.

Or, you can purchase a ready made version.  I found this one on Etsy.  Love the addition of the star anise. 

Of, course, Williams Sonoma has a lovely one too. 

Candles
Candles are a great way to add a hint of scent to your home.  You also get the added bonus of a little ambience.  Now, I'm not crazy about a really strong scent.  I like something that is authentic.  Also, I  never use scented candles on my dining table.  The smell can overpower the food and create a very unpleasant party!  

Here are my favorites for fall.

Seda France Pagoda Candle in Autumn Spice

Archipelagos "Holiday Candle" 

And last, but certainly not least - the holy grail of candles!!!  The first time I smelled this candle (it was a gift from a friend), I honestly wanted to pick it up and eat the wax.  It's just that yummy.


Potpourri
OK, I know lots of you think of potpourri as a very 1980's thing, but I still love it.  Unlike candles and mulling spices, potpourri works even while you're away.  So, when you walk in, it smells great.  I'm not crazy about using potpourri as an accessory which was huge in the 80's (remember stories of people at parties thinking it was hors d'oeuvres and nibbling on it!?).  But I do like to tuck a bowl of it into bookshelves and near all entryways for just a hint of scent when you enter my house.

Here are my favorites for the holidays.
I love this one because (short of the fake wooden rosettes, it doesn't really look like potpourri) and it smells heavenly.

I also like this one too.

***Tip of the Day - ok, here is a fabulous little trick that only works with potpourri.  By using these simple cloth bags, filled with your favorite potpourri you can get a wonderful, hidden scent in some very unexpected places like between the sofa cushions or between the mattress and the box springs of you bed.  Yelp!  Since they are sandwiched between, the scent is very subtle, not too strong.  So, every time you sit down or get in bed you can smell it!
  


Diffusers
I love these too, but I have to say, I've had more than one accident with "someone" knocking them over. (I always seem to get the "I don't know who did it, Mom?"). And that oil soaks into everything it touches!  With that said, I do have a couple of these.  But, they are in very strategic places that get little to no kid traffic (like my closet and bathroom).

Here are my favorites in this category.
This is the same as one of the candles I mentioned above.  And yes, they are more expensive, but they do last longer.  So, you get what you pay for here.

And like the candles, Nest makes some great diffusers, like this one called Moroccan Amber.  Also my favorite scent Holiday come in a diffuser.

I realize there are lots of other ways to freshen your home, like room sprays and basic plug in fresheners, but the ones I've mentioned above are my favorites for getting the job done!  Happy weekend everybody. M.
better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homesand garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture