Eye of the Magpie - acrylic box love

When we were relaxing at the beach a few weeks ago, I had time to really read and absorb the current issue of Traditional Home.  One item that caught my eye?

This room . . . which was designed by Patricia Healings and Dan Barsanti for the 2010 Hampton Designer Showhouse.
I love how they have used yellow to create a neutral palette in this space - which, if you have ever worked with yellow, is difficult to pull off!   

But what really caught my eye - that acrylic box on the console table behind the sofa.  I love it! 
I'm not even sure what is in that box - it looks like a book of some sort, but this idea has so many possibilities.  

As I have mentioned (way more than once) I think a room really needs to include items that are unique to the homeowner and meaningful to them.  Items that can't be duplicated by just running out to the nearest home store.  This acrylic (or glass) box is an excellent way to do this.  
You can put anything in the box unique to your family, and it will instantly become special and a true conversation piece when friends come for a visit.
My husband has this very old pistol that belonged to his great, great, great Uncle (the original John Smith T).  It's really a work of art.   It's currently sitting in a shoe box (in the attic) not being appreciated.  I really need to pull it out and put it in an acrylic box.
I guess this is a lesson in do as I say, not as I do.  
So, I am putting it on the to do list!  I'll of course share pictures when I make it happen.   
What do you have in your space that is unique to your family that you, too, could highlight with an acrylic box?  I would love to hear about it!  M.
better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homesand garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture