Melted Heirloom Tomatoes

Earlier this week, I posted about my weekend.  I had several people email me to ask about the melted tomatoes, so I thought I would share the recipe with you.

Melted Heirloom Tomatoes

Start with the freshest heirloom tomatoes you can find (sounds like Martha, right).  I got these at Whole Foods and selected some of every color they had.
 You will need to wash and dry your tomatoes and cut them into large pieces.  Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.  Place your tomatoes in a single layer on a cookie sheet and add, fresh basil (10 leaves or so julienned), olive oil (drizzled over them), balsamic vinegar (as much as you like, I just sprinkled it over mine), sea salt and pepper.  Then I tossed them to coat each piece really well.  
You will place these in the oven and forget about them for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

And this is what they look like when they're ready!! 

And when I say they will melt in your mouth, I mean it!! They are divine.
I topped mine with thinly grated parmesan cheese.  

Now I am encouraging you to treat yourself to a meal at home one night this weekend.  I paired these tomatoes with grilled chicken and orzo, but you could easily do any grilled meat.  I think the tomatoes would also be yummy paired with rice, if you're not into pasta (which is unimaginable to me, but to each their own).  
This is such a light, healthy summer dish.  M.


better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homesand garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture