Keeping Things on the Down Low

I knew that title would grab you!
Well, I'm actually talking kitchens on the down low - I'm seeing lots of high style kitchens these days with no upper cabinets.  

Yes, it's sleek, current, open, airy and quite yummy to consider.  But, my practical side pokes me every time I try to daydream about the option.  

via


I begin to think about how this trend will play out. Will style trump comfort and practicality?
 Or is this a true lifestyle shift we are talking about here? 

I guess, only time will tell.

But my brain simply cannot leave it at that. What's driving this trend?  Is it designers wanting things to be beautiful and sleek?  Is it a need for visual space?  What exactly is it?

Not sure we will ever really know the answers to these questions.  But, I think it's obvious that our lifestyles are changing and evolving every day.

I have lots of friends who don't really cook.

They eat cereal for breakfast and a quick sandwich (if they're even home for lunch); and they eat out for dinner.  They are constantly on the go with their kid's activities; so truly there's no time to cook.  When they have a free evening, they're not in the mood to cook.

Still yet, I have some friends (not me!) who are extremely health conscience.

 They do eat at home, but their menus are "close to the garden".  So, there is little to no cooking.  Lots of raw fruits and veggies involved.

Now, understand, I am NOT judging.  I'm simply observing.  We all know, at some point, lifestyles will dictate the form and function of a home.  This also drives the economy and what people are willing to invest their money in.  It's just that simple.  Just think, at some point in our history, before everyone owned a car, the idea of a garage would have truly been ludicrous.

So, it begs the question: would it ever be possible to find a home (outside of New York city, of course) without a kitchen?

Maybe this thought is simply a bridge too far (but what the heck!) - Will we one day overhear a conversations like: 

Susie: How's the house hunt going?! 
Judy: Well, we're still looking.  Most of the houses in the areas we like still have kitchens; and we just don't really need one - too much to keep up. 
Susie: You know, you could always renovate.  We loved the area, so we just took the kitchen out.  It made a huge difference in the flow of the whole house.  Believe you me, any updates you make will only add to your resale value. 
Judy:  You're totally right about that.  I was just hoping for something move in ready. 


You never know!  My kids constantly ask me in amazement, "You mean there were no cell phones when you were little?  Tell us again about that bag phone that Nana had?  What did it look like?"  Stranger things have happened.  M.
better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homesand garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture