Study Club

Over the past couple of years, I've been getting together with a few girlfriends on random Friday afternoons here and there.  We don't have a set schedule, just when we can all fit it into our week.  What do we study, you ask?
Well, life, I guess.

We chat about our families, share thoughts and ideas on our children and their activities, have a cocktail or two, and eat some yummy food.  It is such a highlight for me.  I know it sounds crazy, but these study club friends have changed the way I think about life.  
  

So, we had our year end finale a couple of weeks ago at my house.  These girls are so easy to please and will try anything you throw at them!  I decided to do "one bite" appetizers this go around.   


The Menu

These are so simple to make.  The trick is to cook your bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven (350 for 20 minutes) so that it's crisp and super flat.

I also used a homemade dressing on the french baguette - just to make them more interesting.  If you are inclined, you could also add avocado.

 
I grabbed a recipe off the Internet for the soup and made it a day ahead so the favors would marry and be super chilly.  Also, to make assembly even faster, I had my fish monger steam the pre-peeled shrimp for me in Ole Bay Seasonings.  They were a bit more expensive, but I only needed 16 of them so it was worth it.

 
This was the easiest "one bite" I made - grape tomatoes sliced in half, fresh mozzarella cheese, and a fresh basil leaf.

I then topped the whole thing off with a balsamic glaze (you can find it at almost any grocery store these days).  The glaze is thicker and richer than a balsamic vinegar and does not make the the tomatoes release their juices so your plate stays pretty.

These were my favorite, hands down.

The trick here is to use pre-made shredded pork and the bagged cole slaw with your favorite blue cheese dressing.  I also splurged on pre-made gourmet angel biscuits that I popped in the oven to reheat. 
There was only one of these left at the end of the party and my cute hubby came in and whisked it away!

(after all, I am in the South)

OK, I know this picture makes the desserts look green (bad choice of platter color on my part).  They are not green (I promise), rather a creamy wonderful vanilla color!

Sshhh, don't tell anyone, I made these desserts in votive candle holders.  Smaller servings are great way to make a heavy, decadent dessert, more appropriate for the summer.

 

I think this is a wonderful alternative to soda and you can make a ton of lemonade with just one bag of lemons - crazy how much it will make!

I added a splash of lavender infused vodka, for those in mood for a libation!

I saw this mason jar idea on Pinterest and just had to try it.

Now, I challenge you to come up with a fun group of girls and host a "study club."
You'll be surprised how much fun it can be!  Hope your week is going great so far. M.


better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homesand garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture