Guest Bedroom Make Do

We are having family in town for the weekend, and this reminded me that I'd forgotten to post pictures of our "freshened up" guest bedroom.  I did a little re-design in there this past summer using mainly things I already had from other rooms.  Unfortunately, I did not take any befores for you to truly appreciate the "dumping ground" this room started out as.  This just shows you what you can come up with by thinking outside the box and using what you have in new and fresh ways.


I was nutszo over this pillow fabric when I found it.  It's a linen that has a light green background with gray, cream and paprika accents. I love it because it allowed me to use my old wall color (so I didn't have to paint, and I really hate to paint!).  But a couple of weeks after I made the pillows, I received a Ballard Designs catalog and was crushed when I saw my fabric as a new feature fabric for their furniture line.  I know I shouldn't care, but I did not want to see my fabric everywhere.  So, I am going to leave it for now, but may remake them in something else later. 


A few details about the room, I got the bed when I first started practicing law in Atlanta in 1994.  It was one of the first pieces of furniture I bought.  The lamps are from Home Goods, and I replaced the shades with burlap barrel shades I picked up locally(these were in my dining room at one point).  The original shades were lavender silk, so I had to use my imagination when I found them (they were around $35 each)!  The artwork is from Scott's (got it 10 years ago) and just moved it from another room into the space.  The cowhide rug is from IKEA from a couple of years ago.

This side table I picked up at a local antique/used furniture store for $80.00, and the chair was from my daughter's nursery.

This table is from IKEA.  Can't remember the price? But I know they still carry it.  The crystal bowl was a wedding gift and was stored in a closet.

The Coverlet on the bed is from Home Goods (Ralph Lauren, I think), and the throw at the end of the bed is a twin spread I got years ago from this wonderful local shop (it's Peacock Alley so I hung onto it).


The mirror was a wedding gift from a relative of my husband.  The basket is from Pottery Barn and I had it in my nursery with my son.  The luggage rack was brought to the marriage by my hubby. 


Since taking the pictures, I have purchased a drapery rod and have yet to make the panels for it.  So,  I hope you will look around your house for items to make your guest bedroom a little more special.  Your imagination is the only limit.  Cheers! M.

I am linking this post to several link parties this weekend.  If you have some spare time, check them out!
better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homesand garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture better home and gardens, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden, better homes garden, better home and garden magazine, better home and gardens magazine, better home and gardens, better home garden, better homes and garden magazine, better homes and garden furniture, better home and garden, better and homes and gardens, better homes and garden patio furniture, home and gardens furniture, homes and gardens furniture, home and furniture